This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Friday 19 October 2012

No matter how far you go, you turn around and there You are!


I have been saying to people this week to be sensitive to observing. The things you write about yourself in passing like “I’ve always been a late starter” or  “I think he’ll be proud of me” or “those at the top of the ladder”, these are all comments that kind of lighten the posts or are sort of thrown away. But I am saying think of them as doorways into you. For you that are just ways to be friendly but that’s because you are used to you. I wouldn’t say them!! - that’s what makes them doorways  that are part of ways you think that you don’t notice but it is these deeper assumptions and practices that you need to explore to be really able to give a critical reflection on what you have done and your skills in your RoLs. For example read
and the comments between Janet and myself.

I think the hardest part of RoL is getting away from yourself! That is pretty hard in making CV’s let alone a deeper look at your experiences that we are asking for. I recently worked on my CV and I got help from a Professor in a completely different discipline from me who I did not know. I had to explain why I had put things in the CV, the order, the importance of things because he was not familiar with the culture of the work I do. But what he saw was the experiences with a lot less me in them than I do. He pointed out things that I took for granted everyone would value or that I had thought nobody would be interested in. And to make sense of what I was saying he linked things in his own narratives of what I was and what I was doing. This is really helpful for seeing things from a different angle and subsequently seeing things in the multidimensional way you need to develop at MA level of work. So comment on each others blog post and try to help by saying what you see, what you understand in the post. That is what our little community on-line is for.

I am trying to share more of what I am thinking. I wrote quite a long blog on BAPP please have a look. Here is a bit of that
“And now for a new section of my post called – what is Adesola doing!!!! Well, I thought it would be interesting to talk a bit about some of my experiences this week and see if they resonate with ideas you are having. I have been writing a paper with a friend to present at Re:Generations  in a couple of weeks. We are looking at the interconnectedness of dancer, environment and cultural discourse. We are looking at how cultural and personal identity (which manifests physically through belief systems see some of the references to Dewey in the module handbooks) is affected by the aesthetic of particular dance techniques. How do we as choreographers encourage the dancer to move within the personal nuances of them Selves and also draw of established techniques that do not originate from the cultural indicators the dancer identifies with. This is particularly interesting to me in terms of Contemporary Dance which despite all the world influences at it’s inception (Ruth St. Denis and Martha Graham, and Katherine Dunham drawing on North African - Egyptian, Asian - Indian, African, Native American) seems to be Europeanised in terms of ownership. This is a question about ownership of and voice in modernity when one is of the western world but from non-european heritage. Contemporary work that comes from Non-European artists working in Europe seems to be distinct in that it is seen as work that is contemporary with a XXX influence as if XXX (Nigerian, Indian whatever) was fixed in the past and did not have a contemporary manifestation. This second point is the topic for another paper I am presenting in New Mexico at a Dance Conference (CORD) in November. I will be talking about the Jingle Dress, a piece I made and toured UK in 2010 which draws on Native American discourses particularly the Jingle Dress dance.  Here is the New Mexico blurb:

“The paper explores how Contemporary dance’s physicalised inquiry into meaning and principles of being impacts on embodied and cultural identity when it draws on traditional dances as a source. The research takes an ethnographic / case study approach drawing on the experience of creating the performance piece ‘The Jingle Dress’ a 45 minute work for 3-5 year old audiences. Ethnographic data is drawn from having been a part of traditional dances and ceremonies on Pine Ridge Reservation, South Dakota for over 20 years, as well as the creative process of making the work- the Jingle Dress- and responses to the work. For the purposes of this presentation there will be a discussion of how dance shapes cultural identities and personal philosophy. As well as exploration as to whether within a contemporary context shared philosophical principles (such as Pragmatism) and shared embodied approaches (such as dance) can create communities of understanding across cultures or strips cultural identities.”

I will talk more about these two papers (questions) over the next few weeks. I have cited a number of books in the New Mexico paper, here are three you might find interesting:
Johnson, E. P. (2003) Appropriating blackness : performance and the politics of authenticity, Durham, N.C. ; London: Duke University Press.
Seigfried, C. H. (1996) Pragmatism and feminism : reweaving the social fabric, Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Nikolais, A. and Louis, M. (2005) The Nikolais/Louis dance technique : a philosophy and method of modern dance, New York ; London: Routledge.

These papers are about dance and identity. Identity is something that I think manifests in the activity of Module One – as I imply above the activity of RoL is almost made harder by the assumptions, values and general familiarity of our Selves. It also resonates with the way we go about the research methods study in Module Two.  Since a large part of developing a research project /module is thinking about where the ‘I’ is in the process. The first module that asks you to look so closely at yourself prepares you for the second module which asks you to create a research methodology that is developed out of, and addresses the interests of the professional Self you see yourself as.

Where are you? And how did you get there?
Adesola

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this.... I understand it all better from reading how another's perception of what you have done can be enlightening. Very easy to take for granted what you do, as simply what you do....!

    ReplyDelete