This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Monday 30 October 2017

First Sunday and Discussion topic

I wrote this post for BAPP students after a campus session we had. I thought it might be interesting to share with you too. What do you think/feel? 

Also comment below about the First Sunday Discussion Group: which one you will attend and what you are thinking/feeling about for discussion. I thought we could discuss some of the below also.

Sunday November 5th
11am (time in London our clocks went back this (past weekend!!!)
or 
5pm (time in London our clocks went back this (past weekend!!!)

In Module Two you are asked to find a ‘question’ (really this is an area you would like to know more about). What happens is that people find ‘big’ questions offer that involve proving something that give further meaning to their own practice. Like showing the dance is important for young children to do (in the question How does dance support children’s development?). These sort of ‘big’ questions are acting as ways to better understand the context of the practice you already have. Really this kind of big question is more appropriate for Module One which is all about positioning yourself and your practice. These big questions are a route to link your practice to further thinking/feeling. As a group we looked at big questions for our practices like:

Community dance how do is it defined? = how am I defining community dance in my practice.

The role of women in acting = As a woman how am I noticing women in practice

Technology and disability = my work involves creating access and experiences.

Identity = how has my identity developed now I have left the environment of training. How have I constructed myself?

These ‘big’ questions are about finding your own position and great to start to develop from Module One onwards. Module One is about this positioning of self (through looking at your practice through the lens of communication., reflection, networks).

In Module Two your question has to be specific to your practice now. Or it will be too big to manage in Module Three. In Module Three keep asking yourself to come back to the smaller inquiry which is part of the bigger questions that the course is raising for you. 

We then went on to look at how ethical considerations can help with finding a smaller relevant question. 

An ethical consideration – is something you are considering. The word ‘consider’ (to think about). 
If you think of ethical considerations as for instance a form to make sure people have consented to have their picture taken, you are looking at the solution someone has put in place after considering something. We are not asking you to make-up the solutions (the forms) we are asking you to do the considering part. The considered part was – ‘people might not like having their picture associated with what I am doing’,’ some people feel an image of them is part of them’, ‘I need to have pictures to capture what I am doing’, ‘people like to see what they did in pictures’… all these are things to consider. They do not all sit well together in considering them you work out how you will acknowledge all these points. 

This is what we are doing all the time thinking about all the elements of a situations. 

Running for the tube I see someone is in my way – I consider: ‘I cannot be late for this meeting if I miss the train’, ‘this lady looks like she can’t move very fast’, ‘If I run into her might hurt her’, ‘If I run into her  she might punch me’, ‘who is bigger me or her?’ ‘if I head to the next door I might not get there in time before the doors close’… these are all my considerations. 

So we are engaging with ethical considerations all the time to better understand/ to take the actions we are taking. As we think about all the possibilities we understand the situation and ourselves better – that is how the ethical considerations help you better understand the inquiry question and what its focused will be – because the considerations help you think/feel through the situation. 

Talking to my son about this he said – ethics is like breath: we are breathing all the time: we are making ethical considerations all the time. But when we are doing something special – if we are about the do a grand allegro we have to think about special breath in relation to what we are about to do, just like if we are about to do some research we have to think about special ethicial considerations in relation to what we are about to do.

So ethical considerations are much less complicated than some people seem to think but need much more focus than some people seem to give them – like breath (Breath is simple and yet deeply considered when we are acting or dancing or making music etc…).
Adesola


20 comments:

  1. Hi Adesola,
    I would like to join the discussion at 11am. I would be interested to discuss little differently than those big questions..about how has my identity developed over the years and How have I constructed myself? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you can I join for 5pm please. Identity = how has my identity developed now I have left the environment of training. How have I constructed myself? would be my choice for discussion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I'd like to join the 5pm please, still thinking about a area i'd like to discuss. Thanks, Garry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to join the 11am discussion on Sunday.
    Davis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like discuss about 'The role of women in acting = As a woman how am I noticing women in practice?' at 11am. I think that it can connect to my research.
    Thank you,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adesola,
    I would like to join the 5pm chat. I would like to talk about the process of discovering something new/ the process of becoming to know something during your research or your reflective practice.
    Thank you, Maïté

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to join the 5pm discussion please on Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adesola. I would like to join the 5pm Skype session on Sunday please. I am also interested in discussing how have our theories-in-use been questioned and what have we therefore changed plus the outcome of this change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to join the 5pm discussion, and I'm thinking about how to foster online community in various ways. I'm sure I'll have some other thoughts but I'm still chewing on those.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I would like to join the 5pm session. Im interested to talk about the process of developing smaller more specific questions from big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Adesola, please can I join the 5pm session however I’m involved in workshops that day so may have to listen only on headphones rather than chat and will try and type any comments to you as I may be unable to talk.
    Thanks.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Adesola I would like to attend in 11 o'clock Skype session! Thank you :) I'm looking forward to talk more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Adesola
    I'm working in Hong Kong at the moment and I'm a bit unsure which session I can join - due to when I'm available and time differences. Can I provisionally say I'll join the 5pm session but if I can do the 11am session, I'll give you a quick Skype msg beforehand so you can add me in? Yes - talking about narrowing the ideas, being specific to my question and the 'is that relevant' to my question? question! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Adesola, I would like to join the 5pm session please. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I would
    Like to join the 5pm session please

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Adesola, I would like to join the 11am session if that's ok? Thanks! Joe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, 5pm please.
    I have been wondering about approaches to inclusive/integrated dance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Adesoal, I would like to join 11am session but may need to re-add you on skype as its messing me around.
    Thanks
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

    แตกใน xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information.หนังใหม่

    ReplyDelete