This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Saturday 15 December 2012

Breathe and keep going with the stuff for submission



‘The heart of language is not “expression” of something antecedent, much less expression of antecedent thought. It is communication; the establishment of cooperation in an activity in which there are partners.’ (Dewey 1958 p.179)

I love this quote because it reminds me not to be frightened of the language of writing. The words I write are not a representation of how healthy my (antecedent: before expressed) thoughts are. The words are just tools for communication – a collaboration of understanding.

So do not write feeling you have to prove something, write to explain what you know.

Controversial maybe but it helps my dyslexic mind (or somatic inclinations) to allow myself not to feel I am fighting for validation of me, when I am fighting for words.

What do you think?

Adesola

Dewey, J. (1958) Experience and nature, New York,: Dover Publications.


1 comment:

  1. I think I will keep coming back, to this quote Adesola over the next two weeks :) Reading your old blog posts now, as opposed to in the summer, when I kept assuming that once the course started, we would all know from the outset what we were about to start writing, and that I would have understanding of everything I am doing immediately, expecting everything to be read and answered, followed up, backed up. I also keep heading your advice of ' if you are stuck or don't feel like you are there just quite yet, keep reading, keep reading'. I'm concerned I will just keep reading and reading! On a positive, every time I sit down to write, brain map, research I do see many more questions, see more areas where there key learning stages, I start to think about what I will focus on next, what areas inspire me. I have just ordered a load of books that my family will have sent over to me in the next two weeks ( once they all arrive ) I like that you say from confusion comes more clarity and leads to more thought. If this is true then I am definitely on track :)

    ReplyDelete