This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Friday 22 March 2013

Containers


I am trying to write something each week but time goes by so quickly and I sometimes feel I have not moved on from the last thoughts in the last blog post. So for this week I am going to share my notes from listening to a talk and watching some work on-line by Ralph Lemon.

The talk was loosely about two pieces
‘come on Charley Patton’ and ‘How can you stay in the house all day and not go anywhere?’

His process means that a work takes years to make.

He talked about a container: the puzzle that is the inquiry that holds to together a activity. You can’t solve it, it’s a thing you read about, think about explore but it is not to be solved. The container is what holds a dance; it is an opportunity.
I am thinking about the containers we are so used to we don’t notice them – the things we do because we just always do and the assumptions we no longer question. What Janet was saying on Hopal’s blog about considering yourself a certain way like seeing yourself as ‘good’ and how that container is so helpful in that it houses you safely but also so restricting in that it houses you safely. What Hopal was saying about time as a container. Thinking about paradigms such as positivism is about the kind of container you use to organise being xxxx but this is also about the container being the assumptions you are willing not to question. Things you will let slide. In terms of research the container is the framework the assumptions you are aligning yourself with the assumptions that will inform your questioning.

He spoke about self-exploration as ‘tourism of My Self’. He talked about the gap where you want to follow your own rules but can’t. I think this is the space artists are brave enough to face again and again. In dance we explore what we do once we have figured out how to balance by tilting ourselves off balance again.

It was amazing how in questions and answers people had talked about habits, impulse, inhabiting the body – all of this Dewey writes about and yet the world of dance and ontological theory very rarely meet and share ideas.

When asked how he manages to keep up the tiring task that all artists have of questioning yourself he mentioned the importance of coming to terms with your Self – being kind

“I am beholden to trying to be as kind to myself as possible”

My final notes to myself in terms of teaching technique are: I am teaching toward - being a good dancer is not about virtuosity it is about being true to yourself, your body and your intent, to the possibility of your practice. That is what I want my students to learn when I teach a technique class. To that end I try to set exercises that through up physical questions that can be answered with the integrity of technique – or that is what I am working on anyway.

So what are your containers as you look at your past experience, or plan an inquiry project or carry one out??

What do you think?
Adesola

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only deleted as it did not load up properly - full text below

      Delete
  2. Hello Adesola. I love this post! Really got me thinking – and I related back to my research about Carlos Acosta who appears ‘contained’ and totally free at the same time to me. Let me explain….. his background could have totally defined his future – his containment at the time being the poverty in which he lived and the potential lack of access to the artistic world for which he was so clearly destined. However; he managed to break free of all containment and achieve what to some, for so many reasons, could have been deemed impossible for him. Yet I do feel that there are some areas of containment that he has not shucked off, and not does he want to, such as his love of his homeland. I totally respect and am awed by his determination to finish the work on the City of Arts in Cuba and the energy with which he has gone about making this a reality.


    I can only suppose that we are all a hybrid of the 2 – I can totally see that my need to be ‘good’ can be a safe house and a prison, a security blanket and a straightjacket. The need to be ‘good’ does however drive me to improve, study, research and develop so I am going to use it to a positive end…. with a clear understanding that there is room for a little rebellion every now and then! I have to confess that I feel slightly rebellious within the choices I am making about how I conduct a ballet class – long gone is a conventional barre and centre; (and I am of course that the other lessons the students have in the week do follow that format, and that is why I am happy to stray) I have chosen to work in great detail, at slow pace, dissecting what we do to understand how we do it, to take into conventional classes, and I am starting to see results. Having partaken in ballet classes for 43 years now, it does feel unconventional and different to the way I was trained.


    The following quote describes my path into teaching this way. I have become bolder within voicing how I want to train my students, and rather than thinking about the lack of ‘how to’ I have worked on it and brought it into my lessons.


    ‘What was happening was only the working-out of a process that had started years ago. The first step had been a secret, involuntary thought, the second had been the opening of the diary. He had moved from thoughts to words, and now from words to actions. Orwell, G, 1984 Book 2, Chapter 7.


    Finally, I found these at: http://www.dance-quotes.net/teacher's-quotes.html

    “The mediocre teacher tells.
    The good teacher explains.
    The superior teacher demonstrates.
    The great teacher inspires.”

    - William Arthur Ward

    I am not sure I totally agree with the superior teacher demonstrating assumption – there are some truly inspiring teachers who are unable to, or choose not to demonstrate and can still achieve outstanding outcomes, and I can only hope I inspire my students. I can only keep working to achieve that.
    and finally:

    “Try to respect the student's spiritual feeling and intelligence.
    A human being is in your hands.
    If you don't love your students, it's better you don't teach.
    Give the truth always.”

    - Maestro Hector Zaraspe

    ReplyDelete