This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Friday 15 March 2013

Mapping!


We are in week 5 and for my blog post on BAPP I reminded people that it is a good time to take a breath to recognise the process by thinking about where you are heading. To be sure you know what you are required to hand in for assessment and when that is due. I am particularly thinking about this because I have been taking a course at MDX and I find myself thinking ‘just tell me what you want so I can get this done and move on to…’ I am my worst student nightmare!!! But there is a balance between work that feels like it’s for ‘you’ and work that feels like its for ‘them’.  And by ‘for you’ are we really thinking about what we’ll get at the end to show for what we did or thinking about the process as being a moment to moment engagement in something ‘for us’. When it’s ‘for them’ the approval of the teachers who hold the key to being able to move on In both cases it is so easy for learning to become a commodity. So what makes it meaning –full? When it reverberates around your life – pricks some part of you in a way that transforms the world. A threshold moment you cannot un-remember. When it causes the collision of two ideas you had never known could collide. I think these moments are beautiful and unteachable. I think that we try to set up the situation for them, so at this point in the term taking that moment to step back from the hoops and wonder at the journey allows you to make a space for the threshold moment. For me this is the empty incredible space of analysis. It is analysis that will synthesise your learning and what we are hoping for in what you hand-in at the end of term. What am I doing and why? – like stopping the hike for a moment to look at the map: not to change the journey or calculate how fast you are going just to contemplate the process and what it means to you. 

Then maybe think about what is to come and prepare with momentum to move forward in a practical manor in order to get to the hand-in point.

What do you think?

Adesola

No comments:

Post a Comment