This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Monday 16 December 2013

Notes from December 15 Group SKYPE

We had a great SKYPE chat on Sunday morning. I think it was our largest group yet. 

We talked about AOLs and credits – We were saying that Helen and I would pretty much assign the number of credits an AOL is worth. If you are writing big AOLs it might end up that you have a number of credits for that one AOL. Or you might write a number of small ones which each have a smaller amount of credit. So you don’t have to worry about writing to towards a credit target number as you write each AOL. But we also discussed that the title of the AOL will be on your transcript. People don’t look at transcripts much in job interview situations I know but to remember that if you have a big AOL worth a number of credits then it will appear to be weighty on your transcript. I used the analogy of a long AOL called ‘Administration for dance in schools’. If I wanted my transcript to reflect that I have a large amount of credit (ie my MA is heavily weighted with administration) then that would be ok. But I see my self more as a choreographer and the work I do in ‘administration’ as part of the learning I have about moving people around, making things resonate together, work together, weaving people and things in a dance of life with each other. So some of the learning that I use to do administration is, for me, leant through and about choreography so I would write about it in my ‘Choreography’ AOL. This would make my choreography AOL larger and consequently have more weight on my transcript. You might not want to bother with this kind of strategic detail and as I say transcripts don’t get read much but I just wanted to point it out.

We talked about the reflective essays in all the modules. I was saying I had just done some professional development and at the end of the training we discussed what it means to be a teacher. I had said I think it is about holding a space for possibility – the possibility in the Other (the student) and of course because we are all connected in ourselves also. I think the Reflective Essay is about talking about how you have held the space for your own learning during the activity of the module. It is a reflection on how you held that space and what you therefore learnt from holding it for yourself. What do you think?

We talked about the practical ‘object’ that is handed in for module one, particularly in terms of how to present the evidence (illustration) that goes with your AOLs. Alison described it as a kind of sophisticated scrapbook. This is a great way to think of it. The evidence (illustration) is attempting to capture the experience you are writing about by showing the objects involved at the time – these can be programmes, official advertising or information from the organisation you were working with, photos, DVD’s of work etc… It is a pick-n-mix (!!!) and therefore it needs to be clearly sign posted in the written AOL. We talked about using a colour coding system so the Reader can find the object of evidence (illustration) you refer to in the written AOL.  REMEMBER send photocopies not valuable originals.

We agreed to each write something about the meeting so look at each others blogs.

My reflecting on the meeting: I think it went well; as you know we are newly introducing the idea of the group SKYPEs since it seems valuable to talk to peers. The idea is about team learning, collaborative learning. I am quite passionate about this and think that collaboration is a real alternative to many power structures that riddle society, over-spilling from a Victorian system (see Sir Ken Robinson’s work). The idea behind the SYKPE meetings is that you talk to each other about the problems and solutions you have discovered. I am working on how to facilitate the meetings so they don’t become about asking questions of Helen and I. I felt we veered that way a bit in this last meeting. I think it was because it was our biggest group. I want to improve my facilitation, I would be really interested in how you felt and any ideas you think we could try in our next meeting. I was thinking that before a group meeting I should be more proactive with my advisees to check they don’t have burning questions. Also maybe in the introduction we could make an agenda list sort of say “Hi I’m Adesola, I want to talk about finding time to work, I am finding it hard to at the moment.”  or “Hi am Adesola, I have a wonder poem I wanted to share that really inspired me this week.” Then after everyone has introduced themselves we decide on a few of the things on the agenda to talk about (and see if there are some that cross over). What do you think?

We decided it would be fun to get together one more time before January so we are slipping in a holiday chat on Sunday December 29th at 11am (London time) again.

Look forward to your comments.
Adesola


1 comment:

  1. I agree, it certainly is valuable to talk to peers and I think it's starting to work really well as we become more accustomed to it, but it's also useful to ask direct questions of you and Helen that others may want to know the answer to as well. I felt the meeting had a nice sort of energy to it and I think this came from the way it was more facilitated. I enjoy the discipline of a discussion staying on track, or going off on interesting tangents and then being pulled back to the original focus. I find the difference between face to face and voice-only communication really fascinating. When we only hear each others voices I think each word becomes more valuable, more weighted and important and that I become aware of a feeling of trying to speak very economically and concisely. Almost as if there is no place or time for the throw away comments and casual remarks you might make if you met physically. It somehow feels quite exposing but is interesting in terms of how we are used to using our senses to communicate and interact.
    The sophisticated and organised scrap book idea really helped as did the idea of trying to hold a learning space for yourself. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete