This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Monday 16 November 2020

Communication and language

 On Sunday we had a robust discussion about communication. There were many ideas that people have suggested they will write about on their own blogs to continue the conversation. I have written about communication in a couple of articles. Helen and I also wrote a chapter together about communication in the creative process called 'In-the-Between-ness: Decolonising and re-inhabiting our dancing.'  I love the following quote from John dewey which sums up my perspective - 

'The Heart of language is not "expression" of something antecedent, much less expression "of antecedent thought". It is communication; the establishment of cooperation in an activity in which there are partners' - John Dewey Experience and Nature p. 179 

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts, in the comments below. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello
    Thank you for an interesting discussion last night, I have blogged about it here:
    https://stellaeldon.blogspot.com/2020/11/it-takes-at-least-two-to-tango.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reflection on Sunday's discourse.

    Rhoda

    https://rhodmapp.blogspot.com/2020/11/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Here are some of my thoughts on Sundays discussion.
    https://mariayiangou21.blogspot.com/2020/11/communication-can-we-we-get-lost-in.html
    Thanks,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adesola,
    I reflected my thoughts about Sunday's very strong and direct discussion about the best way how to communicating our ideas as teachers, dancers, movers, performers or any kind of artists in my blog so be free and read more about it.
    sandramove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete