This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Sunday 23 October 2016

A network of information & knowledge

I have been talking to a number of people about AOLs and inquiry projects. A number of people are looking at dance and its relationship with cultures: Dance across cultures, the culture of different dance types, going to a new culture or place and continuing to dance. Please write some blog posts about literature you are looking at so you all can exchange ideas and references.

Also a couple of module Ones are looking at the responsibility of being a Judge of dance - Barbara and Parimala have talked about this to me.

There are people who are looking at literature about starting small businesses or small arts businesses.

Please post ideas and comment on each others blogs. The whole MAPP community has a wealth of years and depth of experience across it. Lets get conversation going.

If you are doing something that seems daunting then share your thoughts with other MAPPs.
As Chanel might say Collaboration is the new Black!!

Please comment here too.
Adesola

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    Network of Information and knowledge is crucial at this point of time, I completely agree with Adesola. I am coming up with some vague questions at this junction.
    Can the reflection of learning be something other than dance? Or should it be related to dance? My idea of writing about being a Judge falls under reflections of learning.. as being a judge was my past experience and it always remains a memorable experience. It seems like nobody is interested to sharing their opinions. Guys please do write or comment, at least I know someone is also sailing in the same boat.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I work as a dance examiner so along the lines of judging dance. I find it a wonderful and thrilling experience to be able to travel across the UK and experience the range of talent and also the difference in ideas and levels of creativity. I find it highly inspirational and encouraging to see so many learners, schools and teachers all investing into the arts. The more I have worked as an examiner makes it a little more easier to make judgement on my own learners, and I can also give feedback more easily than I used to. I often relate my learners to examination criteria which helps me to understand their performance but also helps me to gear them in the right direction of improvement...for example, am I convinced by their performance? Is it believable and sustained throughout the whole performance? I have learnt that this helps me to watch my learners from different perspectives, that as their teacher, as an audience member and as an examiner that all shed different lights on the performance and ultimately help my learners to continue progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not easy to change country and culture, but it is a good experience.
    It was challenging for me to become a part of the dance community within this new country. This experience is similar to what competitions mean for learners entering into the dancing community.

    I worked as a judge in dance competitions which was a blessed experience, whereby I got to know many talented dancers all over my country. I found it interesting and I agree with Rebecca, that l have learned to give feedback easily. This enabled me to consider the rules of competition within my teaching methods. I also believe that it is true that the performance needs to be believable but I think that the technique is the most important thing at competitions. The competitors should be able to demonstrate what they have already learned about the style, music, technique etc. I believe this provides them with confidence to find their own way of dancing just like at University whereby we must first of all get through the experience of what we have already learned.

    Competitions can provide opportunities for the participants to learn performing skills and can also be a big challenge for them to explore how they can demonstrate all of their existing knowledge.

    As a judge in competitions, I have to encourage them to be a part of the dance community and support them on their journey to become professional and/or an artist.

    To be a competitor doesn't mean the journey in complete, it is just the first steps on the journey, and to get through all the levels or the categories of the dance is not the aim of dancing, it is just a beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that I saw this post. It is informative blog for us and we need this type of blog thanks for share this blog, Keep posting such instructional blogs and I am looking forward for your future posts.QNAP TS X51 Series

    ReplyDelete