This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Friday 14 October 2016

Doing AOL titles and next steps...

AOLs
So module ones – you have been asked to come up with some AOL titles. Here is what’s up next. You would have a list of AOL’s that you send your Advisor. Its ok this list is just a starting place. They are not it. We want to develop things but we need a place to start. Your Advisor doesn’t know the ins and outs of your life so we need somewhere to start. Once you have your list and have a time to chat with your advisor we will talk through the AOL’s if they are perfect and don’t need any development then we have a problem – because being perfect doesn’t leave much room for meaningful pedegogy. What we expect is that by talking to someone else (your Advisor) about your list they will ask you questions that will make you rethink the list a little. Your advisor will also recommend some theory to read in relation to your AOL’s/ this theory might make you re-think a little too.

It is a process: that’s the learning. The learning process of writing the AOL’s also informs the general attention to learning in Module one that you will reflect on in your reflective essay at the end of Module one. However you have to let yourself have the process. You are not going to do perfect from the start but you have to do you from the start. We can’t tell you how to do you but once you have something however small that means something to you we can help. We are not going to watch you mess-up but we have to have something to start with.

So how do you get there: have a look at your cv to remind you what you’ve done. Make job descripotion to help yourself remember what you do. Look across it and make notes where the same type of activity or learning happens. These notes will/could help you identify things you do, you don’t even think about. That’s all the annotated cv is. If you have an impressive cv the university is not going to look at it and give you credit – its not an honouree MA!! If it’s an unimpressive cv the university doesn’t care either. The course is not about what you’ve done but how you’ve understood and learnt from what you’ve done.

So make a list of AOL’s grab a coffee and skype your Advisor for a talk through of the list.

People who have survived Module One AOLs please comment below too.

5 comments:

  1. Creating the CV and get through what I have done it is very interesting. There are many experiences in a different type of aspects of dancing. It is a long journey from the first dance steps to be an MA professional practice student.
    Where am I coming from? What did I do? What did I learn from my Experiences? I have many questions?
    The discussion about the AOLs can help me what I didn't realise yet and I hope this discovery will open my mind and help me to plan the next steps. What I want to explore? What do I need to realise? What should I read? What could inspire me? I am working about my list but I think this discussion can give me ideas and confidence in the following.
    I can't wait to talk and get inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi agree too! Writing things done made me see where my areas of learning were, which in itself I found to be interesting. Why did I have the need to gain formal qualifications and how have they impacted my teaching (or not). Is it circumstances that have led me to where I am today, or something else (or mixture of the two)?
    I had so many questions when I ran through my CV and although I don´t have all the answers yet I hope to gain more insight as the programme develops. One aspect I have discovered during the past weeks is who am I, and what do I stand for? This self-discovery has me thinking on so many levels, my head is spinning! Enjoying getting to know the "me of today". Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,Glancing through my CV which was created few years ago gives me a sense of growth personally and physically. Extensive travel has provided me an opportunity to work with various dance exponents,my areas of learning has shifted from practical oriented dance routine to theory based knowledge,and technique. I feel Strong theory base enable me to choreograph dance movements better. looking forwrd to hear from you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is much helpful for us.thank you..
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is great post will certainly get 1 title as a draft and speak with my advisor before completing the rest. Thank you

    ReplyDelete