This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Monday 4 February 2019

Algorithms, information, and 'we are not neutral'

Across the course we talk about Web 2:0 and how it has allowed access to so much more information than in the recent past. But we have also thought about critical thinking and exploring what ethical considerations there are around subjects. One of the points we touch on in the Handbook is that not everyone has access to the internet across the world. Those who have been on the internet longer have created environments that reflect their own culture and assumptions. Just as your professional practice might have a dominant culture created by the people in your practice before you.

This Ted talk by Joy Buolamwini and interview raises a really interesting ethical consideration you might not even have thought about. Watch both in order to think critically about the information and ideas. 

 


It is interesting to think about how you perceive yourself and how you are perceived can be so different. The idea of the 'gaze' is a wider theory that you could do more research into if you are interested in the idea of how we are perceived affecting what we can do or be. Are there places where you are invisible? 

There are interesting ethical considerations about what it means to objectify other. What makes us human? 



But even more important this post is about why it is so crucial to research beyond just writing a word in Google. Peer reviewed journals, our university library and looking at the bibliographies of books all bring you information in which you are creating your own/other pathways (algorithms) to information. 

Please comment below...

5 comments:

  1. Dear Adesola, thank you for posting. This is really something to think about and consider! And shows once more how important critical thinking is and questioning where information comes from, who puts it there and why. It makes me think about things we take for granted and don't question. Like for example history, when I was a kid history for me was something that represented reality, now I know, that history has been written by people and there fore it represents certain peoples views and neglects (sometimes on purpose) other perspectives. The same with teaching, its good to question sometimes where our information, habits and methods are coming from. I feel that the AOLs were a great opportunity to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Adesola,

    Thank you for your post, watching and learning about Joy's face being 'invisible'. I too struggle daily being invisible. As a Crohn's sufferer I have a disabled key for the loo. I often get the most dirty looks off of people because I'm not in a wheelchair. Definitely food for thought on how we view others. I will investigate further and post about my own experiences like Joy this week in my blog. Thanks again.


    Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my nephew, and little brother has Crohn's. I will always remember people giving dirty looks at him when we would park in the disabled parking stalls. Sometimes my little brother would be in so much pain he had to squirm his way to the bathroom on the floor. I wish for you that you have the least amount of pain as possible at throughout as much life as you are able to must. And I hope that world becomes more aware of this horrible illness.

      Delete
  3. A considerarable responsibility for us all to take note of the messages, outlets and the audience writers, programmers compose for. Our university culture of questioning and redefining to develop an equal visage. To see the person and not the group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://someofdavesdancebrain.blogspot.com/ I posted my thoughts on my blog, because it was too long to post here.

    ReplyDelete