This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Sunday 10 February 2019

Reflections on Sunday am discussion group

This morning we had a good discussion that begun with saying we wanted to talk about:
Transformative learning
Communication

The following discussion led us down routes to the idea that learning is an endless road with many pathways. It is the journey (process) of the road that is the learning not getting to the (endless) end!!

But because the Tonga philosophy and other indigenous knowings touch me, what resonates most with me is an Ocean with different rivers within it. I know that sounds vast and you might feel "lost at sea" but the ocean of learning like the ocean is a safe place mostly not a place you get lost in - but is alive and will carry you.

"Klin Otto is a river in the ocean, a current of salt water that starts in one special place off a bay in California and runs in a set pattern up to one special island in the Aleutians. And Klin Otto, she never changes speed, and she never changes direction, and she's always there, now until forever..." Daughters of Copper Woman p.112, Anne Cameron 

On that pathway (on a river or current) the characteristics of children is useful - playfulness, engaging time not following it. Sometimes you stop an notice the snails, sometimes you run for no reason than its time to run for a bit.

 

Please also look at the posts other people int he conversation post. Please comment below. 

11 comments:

  1. Dear Adesola,
    Thank you very much for the interesting discussion this morning. I posted a blog about it:
    https://jovankazaric.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-endless-road.html
    Kind regards,
    Jovanka

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments also. Experiencing Maori culture and this life perspective embraces a continual river with life flowing out to sea. Seeing knowledge and communication as the passing of a shared understanding sometimes unspoken runs deep in the depths of the subconscious. I believe much of what we know (the unknown) lies there and can be shared within a mutual place of understanding lived and felt within the community or the body through the Arts and particularly dance music and drama manifesting in worded language interpreted by our conditioning. Exemplifying our responsibility as role-models and highlighting our ethical considerations at the forefront of all we chose. The MA course has helped me to a freer approach and autonomy in my creative work while focusing on what matters. Great blog - thanks Adesola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What beautiful words... I echo your feeling that this is a great post and the imagery and symbolism are liberating both at a spiritual and artistic level.

      I have enjoyed to the marriage between worded language and the embodied art forms. In my case I have felt that it has been enlightening and powerful to discover so many voices echoing my own in the creative process and seeking to find meaning, truth and beauty. One does not have to be the mad artist locked in one's studio, rather one can find connections and parallelism in the inspiration and words of others, and re-enter a cycle through which one finds one´s own individual voice again. In beauty and truth the paths flow in an eternal search of freedom and discovery.

      Delete
  3. Hi Adesola,

    Here is my blog about last night's session.
    https://jadenunn1986.blogspot.com/

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Adesola

    Please find my blog related to Sunday mornings Skype discussion.

    https://www.myworldof.dance/2019/02/sunday-morning-skype-session.html

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hi Adesola, thank you for the inspiring discussion yesterday! Here is my blog https://krabumbel.blogspot.com.

    I've posted it on Helens blog as well: I will be your student voice this semester, so feel free to contact me at any time, if you have any thoughts, suggestions or ideas! By mail krabumbel(at)yahoo.de, or via Skype or WhatsApp (you can send me an e-mail with your phone nr, if you wish and we can get in touch like that), maybe we could even have a WhatsApp group? (Not sure if there is already one?) Looking forward to hearing from you...

    Agata

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of a what’s app group will email you my number now :)

      Delete
    2. Agata, I agree with Jade! I would love to be part of a What´s app group too! Thank you for your initiative :)

      Delete
    3. Hi Marianella, great I made a whats app group just today, can you send me your phone nr via mail (see above) so I can add you?

      Delete
  6. How lovely to read all these blog posts on such an inspiring subject. I was unable to join you all, and it pains me greatly. I was ill with severe bronchitis, but I am so glad to be back now and read your thoughts and various blogs. The topic at hand is lovely and reflects the great transformation that this Masters has had in my professional life. The openness to literature and the words of my community in this master´s has truly enriched my learning and artistic experience. Allowing myself to live a fluid learning process and keeping an open ear to the words and knowledge of others informing and enriching my own experience, has truly marked me as an artist and academic.

    ReplyDelete